Our Serums are the products our line is most known for. And our most common question about them is how do you choose the right Serum for you? Their ingredients look similar, yet the subtle differences are actually large differences when you have very specific skin concerns. All of our Serums are paths to healthy skin, but they each have a different set of symptoms they focus on. Here is a brief guide on skin symptoms per Serum:
BALANCE: oily skin, large pores, congested pores, consistent breakouts, whiteheads, blackheads, acne, perioral dermatitis, fine lines, lackluster skin, lack of firmness
UNBURDEN: reactive skin, broken capillaries, cystic or swollen painful acne, perioral dermatitis, irritations, redness, dry patches or uneven dryness, eczema, puffiness, edema, stagnation, damaged skin barrier, hyperpigmentation, fine lines, lackluster skin
SUN: fine lines, thin skin, lackluster skin, hyperpigmentation, dryness, sun lovers, uneven skin tone, loss of collagen and elasticity, rough texture, moderate inflammation, occasional breakouts
ANTIOXIDANT: fine lines, lackluster skin, rough skin texture, loss of collagen or elasticity, dryness, moderate hyperpigmentation, moderate acne, moderate inflammation, damaged skin barrier, stagnation, puffiness, thin skin
Our Antioxidant Serum can be the most confusing because it appears to be the least specific. Haven’t we already addressed all those symptoms with the other 3 Serums? Exactly, we have. ‘Normal’ skin can experience all of these skin concerns in any given month! With 31 whole plants containing thousands of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and enzymes the Antioxidant Serum is the most well-rounded form of nutrition for radiant skin health. The other Serums help your skin address those more concentrated specific symptoms to eventually able you to just use Antioxidant Serum. It’s like your skin graduated, and now its only goal is to BE VIBRANT.
SERUM INSIDER INFO:
1. Our Serums are multi-process. They begin as whole fresh herbs arriving to our studio directly from our farmers, and then go through a 3 month maceration process that extracts both oil and water soluble nutrients.
2. Sourcing the best possible oils for our Serums is a constant. Fresh samples from new sources arrive weekly to our studio. It’s not at all uncommon for me to return an oil due to quality control. If there’s a better source, we are always looking to find it!
3. The most common concern at Laurel Skin with oils is potency and freshness. Lipids are sensitive to light and heat. Protecting them from harvest to bottle is not common industry practice. Even ‘cold pressing’ involves friction induced heat, which can make even our strongest sources vulnerable if they aren’t constantly attentive or using proper cooling techniques.
4. All of our Serums are non-comedogenic. We strongly encourage those who rely on the comedogenic scale to NOT do so when it comes to our products. Enzyme activity, microbiome diversity, lipid freshness, and refinement play HUGE roles in whether ingredients are comedogenic, yet they are not at all addressed. It’s about the formula, the source’s entire chemical composition, and the skin – NOT about the oil type.
5. All the essential oils present in our Serums are their for medicinal reasons and are micro-dosed. Unburden Serum contains the lowest quantity to be supportive of even the most reactive skin, while Sun Serum possesses the highest EO content. All our EOs are added for their medicinal properties, not to fragrance our products, and none of them have photosensitizing properties.
6. Our Serums are made fresh WEEKLY, and maintain potency for 18 months unopened. They are this stable partly due to our Miron UV protective glass, and partly due to how the combination and network of phytonutrients work to support and strengthen each other.
WHAT DOES MY PERSONAL RITUAL LOOK LIKE WITH OUR SERUMS?
I alternate between UNBURDEN and ANTIOXIDANT. Though I sometimes use SUN in the Summer, and I’ve used BALANCE in the past when I struggled more consistently with acne.
I most often rely on UNBURDEN because I struggle with edema, puffiness, broken capillaries, mild hyperpigmentation, fluid/lymph stagnation, and perioral dermatitis.
However, ANTIOXIDANT is actually my favorite, so I use that any chance I can! I typically use UNBURDEN when my symptoms are flaring up and ANTIOXIDANT when my symptoms are more manageable.
My skin enjoys the subtle change in nutrients between the two just as our internal bodies also appreciate not eating the same meal over and over. Because of that, I like to change up my skin ritual often and intuitively.
Hydration is of equal importance to skin health as oil is. I never skip my Hydrating Elixir step. Immediately after misting I apply my Serum while my skin is still damp.
I always treat my neck and chest. And lately whatever is left on my hands has been going on the back of my neck as well. This is something I’ve found that has helped with my own stagnation/flow/puffiness and offers some headache relief.
I loved sharing this deep dive on Serums with all of you!